Saturday, June 15, 2013

School's out for summer!

School is OVER! I cannot believe that we are done. It does not feel real, and it was actually really sad to leave. I just stood and looked around my classroom for awhile before locking the door for the last time until November. I love that place and I cannot imagine not seeing all of the wonderful people that I work with on a daily basis. They truly are family, and I cannot picture my life without them. We had our last happy hour of the year on Thursday (sans alcohol for me and another friend who are preggo). We laughed a lot and had some fairly graphic conversations about women things that I think every guy in the bar was listening to! Oh well! It was a great way to end the year.
On Monday, my department (or I should say my school!) threw a baby shower for Steve and me. There were more than 30 people there including the woman who subs for me regularly, our former team leader, my favorite intern from a few years ago, and so many of my friends from other departments in the building. This is what I found hooked to my door the morning of:
I had no idea that they were going to do this! I also had no idea how many people would be there, and how overwhelming it would be. Three families of students that I both formerly taught and currently teach put together a huge diaper cake that had outfits, toys, safety items, toiletries, and feeding items attached to a TON of diapers. I was shocked to say the least, and I definitely cried! I was so touched by their generosity. During the shower we had tons of snacks and icecream cake (yum!). Everyone wrote us little notes on these cute little Disney onesies!
We opened presents for what seemed like forever, and it took me 4 hours to go through everything later to take off tags, unwrap everything, and organize it all. That didn't even include time for putting some items together or the 4 loads of laundry I did for blankets and clothes! Oh my gosh! It was nice to go through everything again because I felt like we didn't even know what our friends had gotten for us until we unwrapped in a second time! We were so blessed by these people! This is what our living room looked like for awhile:
Steve's school threw a shower for us on Thursday, and I couldn't go because it was our end of the year staff party. I'm glad that I stayed for that because more staff were leaving than I expected, and it was nice to say goodbye to them. Plus, I would have missed the last happy hour with my girls, and that would have been sad!

The real reason for week was for underclassmen exams, and those seemed to go well. I was just sick of the questions about grades. If you are scrambling at the last minute to earn a certain grade, that is not my problem! You should have worked harder the other three quarters to ensure that 4th quarter and the final exam were not going to dictate your final grade! It is not my fault if your final exam grade causes your final year grade to go down a whole letter grade...you had everything you needed to in order study! Sorry, side vent :) I've already gotten emails about their exam grades because they cannot see those...I'm not responding! They can wait until they get their report cards!

All in all, it was a wonderful last week of school. Hopefully, I'll have more pictures of the shower soon. This week we have more appointments, we're seeing old friends, and then, off to the beach! YAY!

No comments: